the ruin's destruction of earth set off a chain reaction of parallel events that would eventually converge in the asphodel helix, a volatile zone in the western mapped universe that's been plagued with faction, fraction, and scattered wars for dozens of years. side a: a novakid rises to accidental fame and fortune, only to have the spotlight shine a bit too brightly on his past; the glitch knight that formerly spurned him seeks reconciliation in the form of an offer neither of them can afford to refuse. side b: two unwilling soldiers walk side-by-side, drenched in blood and weighed down by a history one of them can barely remember. and yet -- the song plays on.
- clarence rheuma. the shield.
- upright : hidden intuition. instincts. the inner self as ultimate guidance. even though clarence can't remember much of their past, they act swiftly and surely in their dealings as a member of shade co., second-in-command only to kay mironov and first-in-line whenever it comes to dealing with threats that might oppose their authority. their body is more machine than human, but -- as long as it helps them fight, who cares? as long as they can fight -- who cares?
- pollux vautilos. the protector.
- upright : the innate power of the world around us. the embodiment of the sun. security. pleasure. pollux is as self-satisfied as any other novakid you'd ever meet; he radiates a natural confidence that's hard for anyone to find fault with. after all, who else had the power to seek out the artifacts and defeat the ruin -- especially when he'd never been part of the protectorate, in the first place? who else can carry the weight of the title the grand protector, in the end?
- kay valentinovich mironov. the pilot.
- upright : a powerful authority -- a leader in both name and action. responsibility greater than anyone could've ever dreamed. while kay might've started out as nothing more than a protectorate soldier, the destruction of the ruin led them to become the leader of shade co., an arms-dealing company that's spread a black web throughout the underbelly of the asphodel helix. with how well they've slotted into their new role, it's hard to believe that they weren't born for something like this.
- nightshade bellire. the knight.
- upright : tradition. education. teaching what truly constitutes moral and ethical behavior. raised as a marquis and a knight in the powerful glitch belloid kingdom, nightshade never believed that he would leave his home planet, let alone travel outside his home galaxy. the discovery of a turncoat changed that path -- and even though that path might lead him away from his family, he'll never let go of the people he once cared for.